Saturday, January 12, 2013

Learning without a classroom pt.2


…I know I left the last blog without any really conclusion as my friend, TJ Taylor, pointed out. I would like to say it was a test to see how many people were reading. However the truth is I felt that the last blog was getting too long and I just did know where to cut it off.

Recently I have been reading, The Four Hour Chief and The Power of Habit, The first is book about learning in which they use cooking as the example of rapid learning. The second breaks down the how habits works, breakdown and buildup. Needless to say I have been convinced! It takes about month to create a habit, another month to see growth and change in from that habit, and yet another month to master it (maybe). We are in the Peace Corps for 27 months so that makes 9 goals; 7 of which I have already created. There you have it in a nut shell. I plan to write more on the topic as I develop a method of action for these goals. But now with only four days left Em and I will be writing our last minute thoughts has we prepare to depart for Quito, Ecuador.

“Change might not be fast and it isn't always easy. But with time and effort, almost any habit can be reshaped.” 
― Charles Duhigg, The Power of Habit
"No matter how good a plan is, how thorough a book is, or how sincere our intentions, humans are horrible at self-discipline"..."A goal without real consequences is wishful thinking. Good follow-through doesn't depend on the right intentions. It depends on the right incentives"
-Timothy Ferriss, The 4-hour Chef

Always
Ez Aiken

No comments:

Post a Comment