Monday, April 29, 2013

Family


It’s lunch time. My host mom moves the table runner and candle sticks to the side of the table and puts a fresh table cloth on the table. She sets the table with a fork, knife, spoon, and glass. She tells me as she is doing this that my host dad doesn’t like all this. She says, “He just likes it to be the same, he doesn’t understand why I change it all the time.”

I get it.

Over the weekend we lost water for an afternoon so we decided to pack up and go to the grandparent’s house about 30 min away. My host mom packed all the food we were going to eat for lunch and dinner and not to mention a few snacks and drinks. We got to the house (no one lives there all the time anymore) and my host mom put a fresh towel in the bathroom, put bread cinnamon rolls (snack) on the table in a glass bowl, and moved a table and chairs on the front porch for cards. This woman thinks of everything! When we got into the house she even said, “She’s hungry” to my host dad. Maybe it was a lucky guess or maybe she’s incredibly good at reading people, but none the less I’m impressed.

As I grow older I have learned to appreciate these little accommodations that people sometimes make. I’m reminded of when I visit my parents' house in Livonia and my mom makes me breakfast every day or how she nicely sets the table for dinner or how she sets out a pair of slippers in the spare bedroom or maybe, just maybe there’ll be some chocolate milk in the fridge for me to enjoy.

I guess some concepts are international. Even for those who do not have a lot, one can make an experience so much better with just a little thought. I have to say it makes me love it here and miss home all at the same time. 

much love,

E


The family - that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to.
- Dodie Smith

You never get over being a child, long as you have a mother to go to.
- Sarah Orne Jewett

No comments:

Post a Comment