Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Health Check!

After Eric and I accepted our invitation, we had a whole bunch of new forms and evaluations, to make sure we are healthy and ready to go to the Peace Corps. I have to say I feel like every dollar I make is being spent on healthcare right now. Eric has gently reminded me of how blessed we are to have the work we do and that we can afford all of the tests we need. I know he's right... It doesn't change the fact that I hate spending so much on tests, immunizations, and medical evaluations!

While in the Boone Health Clinic the doctor asked me if I wanted to get this (what she saw as unnecessary and costly) blood test. I'm glad health care providers are asking these questions, but I just feel like I have no choice if I want to depart for Ecuador in January! On another note, I had a funny experience with the nurse giving me the Yellow Fever immunization. After a lecture of how I need to take charge of my healthcare by learning about possible concerns (which was ironically started from a question I asked about... possible healthcare concerns) the nurse explained the risks of getting the Yellow Fever vaccine. One of the side effects is strange behavior. She then said this:

Nurse: Do you live with anyone?
Me: Yes, I live with my husband. He's actually getting the vaccine today too. We are going into the Peace Corps together.
Nurse: That's nice. So you'll have to watch out for each other. You'll want to watch for any strange behavior. For example, let's say you get the desire to climb out a two story window. Just for example. But that's an example of strange behavior you'll want to go to the emergency room for.

I'm guessing maybe she had a hard time thinking of strange behavior examples? Or maybe she had a rough weekend? Or maybe she is really saying that it can create suicidal tendencies? I guess that would have been important to clarify... However, 24 hours later and you'll be happy to know that I have not had that desire and am symptom free!

This whole Peace Corps process has been frustrating, exciting, long, and boring. But right now the process is fun! It is so nice to finally have a place and date to look forward to. When people ask where and when we are leaving we can actually give a response instead of being vague and saying, "we hope to find out soon!" Yesterday we got some travel books from the library and we are looking through them planning trips and lists of where we would like to go. So exciting!

I will end you now with two Yogi Berra quotes:

"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question."

"You have got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." 

Much love,
Emily




4 comments:

  1. That nurse just didn't realize you moonlight as a superhero, and climbing out of a window is actually quite routine for you.

    Truth, Justice, and the American Way,
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only a two-story window Emily, that seems quasi-normal to me! Now a 5 or 7th story, well is a step above normal :) Glad to hear you guys know when and where!! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emily and Eric,

    I will joining you in Ecuador in January. I saw your post on Cathrine's Nomaddict blog and was so excited to hear of some other 109 TEFL volunteers! Looking forward to meeting you both soon!!

    Meaghan Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meaghan-

      I was glad to see your comment, a fellow 109er, TEFL Volunteer, and Michigander (well Emily is from MI, I just went to college there). WE both look forward to meeting you, I was looking at you blog and timeline it would be crazy if we ran into each other in Michigan over the holiday's you seem to have the same plans as us. Anyway good luck with the packing I know we all need it.

      Delete